Welcome new readers. I’m glad you’ve ventured over to my kingdom! I hope it’s a place where you’ll find relatable laughs from a middle-aged, weight-challenged, semi-professional dieter and mom, with a passion for musical theater. It’s my hope to make you smile and help you remember that if you sometimes feel hopelessly imperfect, you’re not alone out there!
My name is Parri Sontag, and I’m a professional writer who began my journey as a newspaper reporter, after graduating with a master’s in journalism from Northwestern University in the mid ’80s. Today I work in marketing and communications. This blog is my pursuit of my long-term dream to follow in the footsteps of the funny ladies who have inspired me thoughout my life: Erma Bombeck and Nora Ephron … Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett.
So why the royal title?
It all started in my late teens, when I started packing on the pounds. It seemed like everywhere I turned, society wanted to make sure I knew I wasn’t its “ideal.” Back in the eighties, when you went to buy a pair of pantyhose, the first size was size A, the second size was size B, and the third size was C. Then it jumped to Q for “Queen size.”
I never asked to be royalty. But society insisted. So who am I to argue? I’m finally embracing my royal title!
To learn more about why I started this blog, go to my very first post:
And since we’re just meeting each other, here are a few of my favorite posts, to help you get to know me better.
- My childhood was an awkward one (Leisure Suits, Braces and Beanies: My Life as a Dodgeball Target).
- I’ve lived my life trying to be a good person, with a few epic fails (Do NOT follow the Jell-O Brick Road).
- I share an eating disorder with my cat (Fatty Cat and Me: A Co-Dependent Relationship)
- I have Supermodel Envy
- Somewhere along the line, I blinked and I’m middle-aged. And nobody may ever know how cool I once was in my own mind. (Help! My Hipness Has Fallen and It Can’t Get Up!).
- And my memory fails me often. Why am I telling you this? Uhh … Never Mind. I Forgot.
To make sure you never miss a laugh, you can subscribe to my blog in the right sidebar of every page or at the bottom of any story… and receive new funny posts right in your email! You have nothing to lose. The humor is free, and I’m not trying to sell you anything. We all need to laugh more, don’t you think?
I hope my blog brings a smile to your face and look forward to seeing you in my kingdom again, really soon!